Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Truro

Her call name was "Truro". An odd name for a dog, I think. It's a name associated with Nova Scotia, Cape Cod, Mass., and(in Rhode Island), the oldest synagogue in the U.S.. Her registered name was fancier, Cloverdale's something or other. She was an energetic puppy, given to chewing almost anything. I soon learned to patch walls, since one of her favorite things was to lick and chew holes in the walls and the corner trim by the kitchen door. On one of her first outings to the beach she was just a couple months old, she picked up and carried an empty beer bottle. She was the sweetest dog I ever knew and probably the smartest. I inherited her, sad to say and also glad to say. She was alone on my working days, except for the cat Petey, but I don't think she developed any kind of relationship with that cat. After work, we would take long walks. Part of our route had a stone wall which she would jump on top of and walk whole length of it. Don't know how she decided to do that. Once out of puppyhood,( it was a long one), she settled down, her chewing days were over except for a Nylabone or two. She had a great personality which I think shows in this photo. Going through some old negatives, I found this one. She was a dog you never forget.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

What a beuatiful dog! We had a golden retreiver some twenty years ago, that my husband and I loved like a child. We still miss her.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, she was a beauty! I love the goldens. All of my beloved pets have enriched my life in some way. Even the ones who gave me a lot of trouble.

Dee said...

An error on my part. The synagog in Newport is not named Truro.