Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Desktop Photo

I keep this picture as my desktop now that we are in winter. Next summer, I'll put up a snow scene. This is from a couple of years ago, and, looking at the slant of the shadows, it was a sunny, warm afternoon. The shed is not yet filled with drying tobacco. There used to be a few tobacco farmers in the area and now it's just one. The woods where I walk was once tobacco fields,and it is now grown over with pine, beech and oak. The few cedars are struggling to survive the deer foraging in deep winter. There isn't much for them this year with another poor acorn crop.

I checked into Google Maps the other day and was able to find this old shed on their satellite map. It has a new metal roof that shows up nicely. I could trace my walking route from our house, through the woods, around the hay field and home, on their map. Hope to get back to this spot on a nice summer day, soon.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I love this photo. It looks so much like sheds you see around here.

When I was growing up, tobacco was the main crop in this area. My Dad didn't grow tobacco - he raised beef cattle - but I did work in tobacco (handing leaves) several times. There are still a few tobacco farmers around, but nothing like it used to be.